Gear Required for Caving
All caving-specific gear can be borrowed from CUCC, but there are a few less technical items that you'll need to bring on meets.
- Warm clothes for normal wear
- Robust trainers/boots for normal wear
- Old underwear and socks for wearing in the cave
- Old T-shirt/vest for underneath a furrysuit. Cotton is not ideal as it keeps you cold when wet; a rash vest or thermal top is better
- Gear set (can borrow from CUCC): undersuit, oversuit, wellies, helmet, belt or harness, karabiner, survival bag, whistle
- Lamp (can borrow from CUCC)
- Cave food (e.g. a few Mars or Snickers bars, for when you need a sugar fix)
- Sleeping bag (CUCC have a few sleeping bags that can be borrowed)
- Money for food when travelling & more chocolate supplies
- Experience: have climbed a ladder on the surface if possible
- Knowledge: what's the plan for this meet?
- Communication: tell meet leaders of medical things, ask if unsure of anything, be briefed before going underground.
- Wash kit: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc. (Or just don't wash!)
- Second pair of old underwear & socks for wearing in the cave the next day (putting on dry underwear is more pleasant)
- Cave gloves (e.g. washing-up gloves). Although some people claim it's warmer to not wear gloves.
Nice to have...
- Thermal top
- Head torch (e.g. Petzl Tikka, Princeton Tec Eos).
If you become a regular caver with CUCC you'll eventually want to purchase your own set of gear; it's best to ask club members for advice on what will suit you best, as there are lots of products available. Muddy caving gear, especially metal work, all looks similar so you will need to mark your stuff with a unique colour combination, or label it with your name. Look at the gear tape colours list to see which colour combinations are currently in use, before choosing your own.
Information regarding the operation of the tackle store, and the club inventory are also available online.
The Tackle Store
The CUCC tackle store is located on Grange road; it is a garage with blue doors, next to the building number 6. It is shown on this map (marked with a red arrow, near the bottom): CUCC tackle store location.
Access to the tackle store requires a set of keys, so borrowed gear is best returned at ropewashes, training sessions or pubmeets (when the chosen pub is near the tackle store!)
Contact the President or Tacklemaster if you need to access the tackle store at a different time, or if you feel you require a set of keys.
Borrowed gear should be returned as soon as possible, and before the next training session or meet. Gear should be washed before it is returned and not left in a muddy pile to accumulate rust and mould. Upon returning any gear, please tick the gear off in the gear logbook (usually on top of the filing cabinet in the tackle store).
Compiled by Jess S, Jess H, Laurence and Ollie on 14/10/2008.
- 8 harnesses
- 10 helmets
- 8 working backup lights (and 1 broken one)
- 14 fursuits of which XL:2, L:6, M:4, S:2
- 14 oversuits of which XL:1, L:7, M:5, S:1
- 10 functional pairs kneepads
- 5 working lamps
- 14 lamp belts
- Wellies (pairs)
- Size 12 : 1
- Size 11.5 : 1
- Size 11 : 2
- Size 10 : 4
- Size 9 : 6
- Size 8 : 5
- Size 7 : 2
- Size 6 : 4
- Size 5 : 4
- Size 4 : 1
Gear Tape Colours
To avoid confusion it is best to tape all of your gear with a unique combination of colours. Pick a combination and add yourself to the list. The list is ordered by approximate frequency of caving with CUCC, then in alphabetical order by colour.
Please avoid combinations using purple - purple is reserved for club equipment.
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 1|
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 2|
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 3|
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 4|
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 5|
|,||CUCC SRT Kit 6|
|, ,||Edvin Deadman||Current Member|
|, ,||Mark Shinwell||Current member|
|,||Tony Rooke||Current member|
|, ,||Adam Kessler||Current member|
|, ,||Toby Speight||Current member|
|James Hickson||Current member|
|, ,||Ollie Stevens||Current member|
|, ,||Kathryn Hopkins||Current member|
|, ,||John Billings||Current member|
|,||Richard Mundy||Current member|
|,||Stuart Bennett||Current member|
|, ,||Chantalle Mouwer||Current member|
|,||Wookey & Tess||Current members|
|, ,||Tom Handford||Current member|
|,||Emma Wilson||Current member|
|,||Pete Harley*||Current member|
|,||Olly Madge||Current member|
|,||Sarah White||Current member|
|,||Aaron Curtis||Current member|
|, ,||Serena Povia||Current member|
|,||Nial Peters||Current member|
|,||Peter Clifton||Current member|
|,||Djuke Veldhuis||Current member|
|,||Mark Shinwell||Current member|
|,||Simon Redhead||Current member|
|, ,||Julian Todd||Frequently|
|, ,||Erin Lynch||Rarely|
|,||Letty ten Harkel||Rarely|
|, ,||Jeremy Rodgers||Ever?|
|, ,||Ally Graff-Fearon||Ever?|
|, ,||Dave Fearon||Ever?|
*Pete Harley's colours currently conflict with Brian Outram's, but he will change them if it becomes an issue or there are complaints.